With its prime location on the corner of 5th Ave and 6th St, not only is 5th Avenue Coffee Company is must visit, it is a can’t miss. Day and night, people are congregated at the shop’s outdoor seating eating, drinking and watching as 5th Avenue life passes before their eyes. You’ll see tiny dogs, people armed with their Macbook troubleshooting their mom’s connectivity issues via iPhone and even a bicycle team or two decked out in full padded short glory. Now that’s another post for another time. How about the food?
Multiple stops over multiple years and not a single disappointment has been delivered to my plate at 5th Ave Coffee, or the coffee shop as we’ve grown to call it. Sure, Naples has others, but this is the only one that matters. Have a muffin or a bagel for breakfast. Sandwiches, wraps and salad are only a few minutes away and offer total customization. Don’t even get me started on the huge coconut cake that a lesser man would have succumbed to.
There is one thing that makes the coffee shop the go-to place if you’re on your way to the beach in the morning or heading back to the hotel to call it a night, the iced mocha. I know what you’re thinking, mochas? It’s true that this milk, espresso and chocolate combination as been made the same across time and distance, but the coffee shop does it different. They simplify it and tailor it to taste buds that are less discerning and less sophisticated – mine.
So here goes. I’m giving away the recipe. Ice, milk, espresso and a couple pumps from a huge container of Hershey’s syrup. That’s right – Hershey’s syrup. Somewhere in Italy, the godfather of baristas is turning over in his grave, and my stomach couldn’t be happier. Why put in the bitter, semisweet chocolate that is the cornerstone of a mocha when you can swap in out for the bastardized U.S.A version of chocolate.
So good. So creamy milky. So sweet. So never big enough. If you are in Naples and haven’t had a mocha from 5th Avenue Coffee Shop then you need to check your head and make the walk over. Be sure to sign your receipt with one of their flower pens.
Consume.Review.Repeat. gives 5th Avenue Coffee Shop’s iced mocha 9.5 dead baristos turning over in their graves out of 10. Please note that no photos of the iced mocha exist as someone would be foolish to take his hands off long enough to snap a shot.
Consider the following drinking instructions:
- Sleep on a fold-out couch for seven restless hours. This low point will set up a nice contrast to the brilliant beverage.
- Have a light breakfast.
- Watch an hour of wonderful children’s programming from the fine folks of PBS.
- Plan, prepare and pack for the beach.
- Duck out of the car to grab your mocha and a few pasties for the beach as your wife circles the block. Hop back in. The walks too far.
- Delay. Delay. Delay. You’re going to want to chug it down. Resist that urge. The heat from your newly found sand coaster will melt the ice enough to create the perfect dilution.
- Sip along with a wonderful cinnamon roll or double chocolate chip muffin as you ponder infinity staring into the ocean.
- Trash your cup. No wants to see beach litter.
- Fly a kite. Your kids will be amazed.